PARKERSBURG - While many businesses will be closed Monday for Memorial Day, a number of area attractions are open through this weekend and will be open to visitors Monday on the first official weekend of the summer tourism season.
Blennerhassett Island Historical State Park is open today and will be open through Monday for tours and sternwheeler rides to the island. Today's hours will be 11 a.m.-5:30 p.m., Sunday from noon-5:30 p.m. and Monday from 11 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
The sternwheeler Island Belle will pick up visitors at Point Park in Parkersburg for rides to and from the island.
The Blennerhassett Museum, located at Second and Juliana streets in Parkersburg, will be open today from 10 a.m.-6 p.m., Sunday from 11 a.m.-6 p.m. and Monday from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. for Memorial Day. For more information call 304-420-4800.
The Oil and Gas Museum on Third Street in downtown Parkersburg will be open from 11 a.m.-5 p.m. today, noon-5 p.m. Sunday and 11:30 a.m.-5 p.m. on Memorial Day. The museum also operates Henderson Hall on River Road in Boaz which will be open from noon-5 p.m. today through Monday.
The Veterans Museum of the Mid-Ohio Valley will have a Memorial Day open house from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday at the museum at 1829 Seventh St. in Parkersburg. The museum will also be holding a "Thank Our Veterans Cookout" from 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Monday at City Park for any veterans and their families at the park. The museum and other sponsors are supplying food and are asking those who wish to bring a covered dish.
The Campus Martius Museum and the Ohio River Museum, both in Marietta, are open for the holiday weekend. The museums are open 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m. today and from noon-5 p.m. Sunday and Monday.
The Campus Martius and Ohio River Museums, located one block apart on Second Street and Front Street, are operated by the Ohio Historical Society, a private, nonprofit organization that serves as the state's partner in preserving and interpreting Ohio's history, archaeology and natural history.
The Campus Martius Museum focuses primarily on the pioneer history of the Northwest Territory and Marietta as its first settlement, along with other aspects of the area's history from 1780 to 1970. The Ohio River Museum focuses on the rivers, riverboats and sternwheelers which played vital roles in Marietta's history.
The Castle on Fourth Street in Marietta will be open today and Sunday from 1-4 p.m. and from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday for the Memorial Day holiday.
A number of Memorial Day services are planned throughout the area today, Sunday and Monday. Those include:
Upcoming Memorial Day services in the Mid-Ohio Valley:
* Today, 11 a.m., Sunset Memorial Gardens, Parkersburg
* Today, 2 p.m., Spring Grove Cemetery, Parkersburg
* Sunday, 1 p.m., Ravenswood Ferry Landing, Ravenswood
* Sunday, 2 p.m., Ravenswood Cemetery, Ravenswood
* Sunday, 2 p.m., St. Francis Xavier Cemetery, Parkersburg
* Monday, 8 a.m., Harmar Memorial Day Parade and Service, Harmar Village, Marietta
* Monday, 9 a.m., Beverly-Waterford Memorial Day Parade and Service, Beverly and Waterford
* Monday, 9:30 a.m., Williamstown Memorial Day Parade, Williamstown
* Monday, 10 a.m., Marietta Memorial Day Parade and Service, Marietta
* Monday, 10 a.m., City Park, Parkersburg
* Monday, 11 a.m., Leavitt Funeral Home, Belpre
* Monday, 10:30 a.m., Lowell Memorial Parade, Lowell
* Monday, 10:30 a.m., Jackson County Veterans Memorial Program, Ripley
* Monday, 11 a.m., New Matamoras Memorial Day Service