MINERAL WELLS - Much of the county was unscathed by the weather Wednesday evening.
Residents of the Mineral Wells area, however, encountered heavy rain, hail and strong winds.
Jay Parsons, Mineral Wells Volunteer Fire Department chief, said Wednesday night's storms caused some damage to the area.
Photo by Jody Murphy
Fallen trees in the yard of a Windsor Estates home.
Photo by Jody Murphy
Brenda Rogers’ back porch roof was ripped from its supports by a storm Wednesday night, leaving a large hole in the house and exposing the upstairs bathroom.
"It took the roof off a few buildings. We had a church damaged. A lot of downed trees; (the area) had three that were cut in half," he said.
Brenda Rogers' back porch roof was ripped from its supports by the storm.
The 20-by-12-foot porch roof was tied into the house. Winds came roaring up the back yard, tearing the porch off the house, rolling it over the roof, into the front yard and the road before it came to rest in a neighbor's yard a few hundred yards away.
"I ran downstairs and hid in the basement bathroom," Rogers said.
Carl Sizemore, assistant director with Wood County 911, said storms in Wood County were concentrated in Mineral Wells and toward Wirt County. The storm included rain, marble-sized hail and wind speeds close to 45 mph.
Bo Wriston, director of emergency services in Wirt County, said the storms left about 6,000 people without power in Wirt County due to substation issues. Power was restored in many areas by morning.
Numerous branches and trees were knocked down. Turkey Foot Road in Mineral Wells was blocked near the entrance to Windsor Estates when two large pines were sheared in half.
Parsons said fire crews spent a few hours cutting up downed trees to clear the road. Several homes had fallen trees in the yard and branches on the roof.
"It was a bad storm," said one resident as she swept off her porch and walkway.
Rogers was talking on the phone with her daughter during the storm when the porch roof started to tear loose. Her daughter told her to go to the basement.
"I didn't stick around to see what happened," Rogers said. "I was worried the (sliding glass) door wasn't there. It was scary."
Terry Goudy, owner of Guard Restoration, said Rogers called him after midnight. Crews were at the house early Thursday morning working to get the house back under roof and dried out.
In addition to manpower and roofing equipment, Guard Restoration also brought close to a dozen dryers and a few large commercial dehumidifiers to dry out the interior.
The gaping hole in the roof gave the upstairs bathroom an unwanted skylight. The exposed attic insulation and interior also allowed water to leak through the kitchen ceiling to the basement.
Goudy estimates the house suffered about $30,000 in damage.