PARKERSBURG - Fire departments in Parkersburg and Vienna responded to two separate instances Sunday that had the potential to become something serious.
At around 11 a.m. Sunday, the Vienna Volunteer Fire Department responded to the Vienna Wal-Mart store in response to a gas leak.
Vienna Fire Chief Steve Scholl said employees were in the back stockroom moving things around when they hit a gas line with a small forklift. Store officials called 911 and were notified to evacuate the store, he said. The Vienna VFD responded with two fire engines and 12 firefighters.
"We were able to isolate the leak and shut the valves off," Scholl said.
No injuries were reported.
"They were very lucky," Scholl said.
Vienna and Parkersburg Police were also on site and notified the gas company which sent a technican to check over the system.
Fire officials gave the all clear about a half hour later at 11:30 a.m. Business resumed throughout the rest of the day and evening.
At around 1:45 p.m. Sunday, the Parkersburg Fire Department responded to a report of smoke at a residence in south Parkersburg.
Smoke was coming from under the siding of a home at 2515 Leniore St., said Captain Brian Drake of the PFD.
The fire department responded with a standard response for a structure fire, which was initially reported, including tower trucks, rescue vehicles and around 15 firefighters. Crews only found siding on the house smoldering with no apparent ignition source, Drake said.
Crews tore off siding, but did not need to spray the spot with any water, he said. Crews were only on the scene for about 15 minutes. Drake said the incident only caused around $500 damage.
Officials are looking into the possibility the incident might have been caused by a improperly disposed cigarette.